Friday, July 31, 2015

Finding a bright side

31st July 2015,

 As I walked into the school today, I was greeted by abundance of red pens, number of cards and bunches of flowers. It was Teacher’s day today.

 Growing up all kids have a specific aim, Something they want to be when they grow up. I never had any. I never knew what I wanted to be but what I did know was what I didn't want to be. I never wanted to be a teacher. But with a twist of fate and a lot of free time in my hands, I somehow ended up being a teacher. A part time teacher, but a teacher nonetheless.

  I can’t say I liked it, being a teacher. To be honest, I really, really didn’t like being a teacher; Most of the kids were loud annoying and horrible during classes. Being a teacher was really tiring. They were such devils that it made me wonder if this was how we treated our teachers and me being a teacher now was karma’s way of getting back at me.

 Like I said, I really disliked being a teacher. I couldn’t see a bright side to it (apart from the salary, of course). That was until today; teacher’s day. As I entered my class (I’m the class teacher of grade 6) I was greeted by little enthusiastic faces with gleeful smiles as the said “Happy teacher’s day.” in a loud singsong voice and then came the flurry of gifts, cards, chocolates and red pens (Still can't figure out what do I do with these huge numbers of red pens).


 I took pictures with these enthusiastic little ones, a happy grin forming on my face. I felt a warm and happy feeling inside me. I guess I was finally finding a bright side to being a teacher and that bright side was love – pure and unadulterated love – and respect from these little ones. Their fondness of me made all those tiring days, spent shouting at them, worth it. And looking at the cards they made for me, I couldn’t help but feel touched. I guess today was the day when I changed my verdict and said, “I kinda do like being a teacher.”   





1 comment:

  1. This is so great 😀
    Keep posting.
    I would love to see more from you.

    ReplyDelete